History of the Geraldton Cemetery
Since its inception on 23 January 1951, the Geraldton Cemetery has been managed by a board.
- The first burial was recorded on the 22nd of July 1930 when Ethelbert Gibbs was laid to rest in the Methodist section
- The crematorium was first established in 1989.
- The first cremation was on the 2nd of May 1989.
- 19 years later, to the day (2nd of May 2008), the Geraldton Cemetery Board officially opened the present crematorium chapel.
- On the 1st of March 2017 the new condolence lounge and Joule Cremator were officially opened.
- There are 17 denomination zones; Roman Catholic, Uniting Church (Presbyterian), Salvation Army, Aboriginal, Church of Christ, Muslim, Chinese, Japanese, Lutheran, Assembly of God, Non-Denominational, Greek Orthodox, Jewish, Baptist, Seventh Day Adventist, Uniting Church (Methodist) and Anglican
- The Cemetery occupies approximately 40ha of land
- Approximately 25% of the available land is occupied
- In 2018, approximately 80% of all deceased were cremated; 20% received burials
Geraldton Cemetery Board
All current board members are appointed by Minister for Local Government and provide their services on a voluntary basis. Board meetings are held monthly.
Max Correy (Chair)
Appointed May 1988
Appointed 31st October 2002
Appointed 27th June 2013
Appointed 28th October 2013
Appointed 11th June 2014
Appointed 9th October 2017
The Board wishes to acknowledge past board member Barbara Shields for her 27 years of service to the Geraldton Cemetery Board, concluding her service on 23/01/2019. During this time Barbara oversaw significant change and improvements to facilities including extensions to the Condolence lounge, cremator upgrade and extensions.